Hair Tutorial for 1941

 


Today is a hair style tutorial based on an illustration from one of my 1941 pattern books. When I was flipping through by books, I thought, "geeze, this hair style would be a great beginner look because it's so simple and plain". So that's why I chose this style because of its simplicity and because it looked fairly easy to replicate at home. Hair tutorials are a common request here and I am always open to taking your requests to help both of us learn. To follow is the original inspiration. The style features a side part and smooth sides that curl around the shoulders. To replicate this look you will need:

  • bobby pins
  • a large brush
  • a finer, smaller brush
  • small or medium hair comb
  • hair spray 


Next up are the step-by-step instructions to make this look up. To start, I began with pin curled hair. I like pin curling my hair because it is a curling method that works for my hair type. To brush out the curls, do so in SMALL SECTIONS! If you do too big of a section, you can get snarls and knots. Your goal is a soft, smooth brush out. When brushing out the hair, brush it all the way to the ends carefully to smooth and work the smaller, individual pin curls into a larger, smoother style. If you are not a fan of pin curls, then do what curling method works for you. As far as I am concerned in this department, there is no wrong way to do it as long as it works for you. You can use period methods or modern. 


When doing the brush out, I do so in small sections, brushing the top if the hair so that is smooth and then when you get to the ends, brush them under, towards the head to get a smooth curl. This can take practice and learning how your hair reacts. Everyone's hair is different, and you will have to learn how to make yours do what you want it to do. 


Once the hair is brushed out, it will look like this, now we fine tune the style. 

Starting with one half at a time. Side part the hair if you have not done so already and starting with the larger section, smooth it out by brushing downwards. Use your hands for extra smoothing if need be.  

Now for the smaller section, use a smaller brush and smooth out the smaller section brushing it around to back of the ear. 

To secure the smaller half, use a hair comb and insert snuggly so that the smaller section stays towards the head and smooth. In the picture, the smaller half of hair showed a little wave and I am going to do that on the larger section of hair instead of the smaller half. 


Moving back to the larger section, the illustration shows a little wave or lift, and I like to sculpt my waves with my hands. To start, I lift a section and insert one of my fingers under the wave and lift it upwards. With the other hand, I smooth and hair down to emphasis the little wave. Since the hair was already curled at the start, the hair has a volume and body to work with and should take to some sculpting. 

Once happy with the final look, set with hair spray. A girl's true best friend . . . 


Below is the final look and the look styled with a cream, wool felt hat. This is a simple style that has tree elements: side part, smooth sides, and curled at the shoulders. Since this style is smooth on the top, it works well with most hats. To finish this look, I did apply a light application of apricot cream rouge from Besame on the lips and cheeks for a bit of light additional color. It's still a fairly natural look and still very period correct for a German civilian look. 







Comments