Snoods in German Fashion

 I was asked a great question by a reader: Did German women wear snoods? This question really tickled my mind because in all the photos I have studied, I have yet to see a snood . . . Of any kind for German fashion. This is super fascinating because in American and British fashion, these are seen and among reenactors they are very common. But what about in German fashion? The short answer? Yes, maybe. 


German women did possibly wear snoods, they are seen depicted in fashion magazines but for whatever reason not in photos of average women. Or at least not that I have seen yet (and trust me, I have not seen every photo out there . . . There is so much more that I do not know).  This could be for a lot of reasons, maybe they were not too popular or common. Maybe they were considered too casual to be worn in a portrait photograph. Your guess is as good as mine. So now that we have that out of the way, we need to ask the question if they can be worn at a reenactment. . .That's up to you, however, they do not seem to be that popular. Plain, unadorned hair seems to be the most common with or without a hat. With that out of the way, I do have some great magazine illustrations to show you that depict these snoods. Sadly, only two. I think because I was only able to find two really says how rare they are for German fashion. 




Comments