Dressing the 1940s German Bride: A Look Through Pattern Books

 


In dressing my friend as a German bride, the first thing I did was crack open my German pattern books from 1940 - 1949. Below is what I had for my friend to choose from if she desired to have a gown straight from a period publication: 




The gowns in my book were all floor length, had long sleeves, high necklines, and were in a general sense very conservative. Some featured lace as an embellishment in large pieces or else rows of dainty buttons. My bride wanted the last option you see here or design number 20 from my Der Goldene Schnitt 1940 dated book. Roughly translated for my English audience, the gown is suggested to be made in taffeta, features puffed sleeves, and is also lovely for dancing. 

 In making out this pattern, the bodice was very conservative and used the minimum amount of fabric for the style except for the skirt. I was very surprised how much fabric was in the skirt and how much sweep there was in the hem. To make this gown in 1940 must have taken a great deal of commitment and drive to not only secure the necessary materials but also to make up. Simple gowns leave no room for error as each mistake can be easily visible. When I was making the sleeve, it has just what it says, a great puff at the top and then it slims down to an almost form fitting sleeve below the elbow. Dainty buttons trim and offer as a closer for the sleeve. 

Comments