Applying the Research: A Look for Early Spring

 


Research is only useful if it can be applied to create some final product. Today is a garment post on applying that research to make a period look for a German wartime civilian for early spring. The pieces used in this look vary from original 1940s pieces and those I made myself. The dress I made myself from a early 1940s American pattern that features long sleeves and a pleated skirt and bodice front. I chose a deep chocolate brown linen because I wanted something modest and conservative in brown. I'm awfully fond of the color of dirt so I am partial to browns and natural earthy colors. 

The Hat: Dandelion Vintage 

Coat: Thrifted Years Ago

Fur Stole: Thrifted Years Ago

Dress: Made by Yours Truly

Shoes: Found at a Reenactment Sale


This look is a mixture of earthy colors and features a brown linen dress worn under a cream colored wool coat. The most glamourous feature of this look is the silver fox fur stole. German women did wear furs, it is well documented and you can see my previous research regarding that topic here. I am wearing a very light application of make up here. I am wearing a light layer of foundation powder and a light application of Besame's apricot rouge to the cheeks and lips. It is a very light application that still would be period correct. Some German women did wear makeup and that research can be found right here



My inspiration for this look came from a selection of illustrations from a German ladies magazine from 1941 - 1943. I was excited to have a tall hat similar to the one here and as for the dress, I found one very similar to mine. The biggest difference between this illustrated dress and mine is that mine uses pleats rather than gathers. 



Comments