What I Wore to my First Tactical (in April)

 


Way back in April I was able to attend my first tactical. I had a blast and it was certainly memorable. What did I do? I was an assistant cook helping to cook for a lot of hungry Germans in the field. Since I was too busy enjoying the moment and cooking I did not get any photos of myself at the event itself. So, a month or so afterwards I recreated the outfit I wore for this blog post. I was really happy with how this look came to be and it was all based off a photograph from the collection of Randy McKeithan which you can see here. I think when it comes to building an impression, using period sources as inspiration is the best, photographs included. 


The dress is a short-sleeved dress that is mid-calf in length. It is a 1930s print in a purple and pink print. German and European women did wear prints and colors. Paired with it is a printed cotton apron. If you look close, the apron does have some rips and tears. I did not repair them because I wanted to look "roughed up" in a way. I also slept in my clothes to get the wrinkles. I wanted that disheveled look as much as possible so I would not look too clean or polished. I was working and sleeping out in the field for the weekend and that helped get that messy field worn look. 

I kept my hair really plain and covered it with a plain white cloth like I saw in the photograph which you can see here. The head covering here was very practical in keeping my hair out of the way and keeping it clean while cooking over the open fire. Make up? none. I wanted to keep the look practical for the work I was doing, and I was able to do all the work I wanted to do comfortably. 

For leg wear, not photographed here, I chose a dark cotton seamed stocking and a plain black shoe. I chose a very practical shoe because I was on my feet the whole weekend but I still managed to get a blister. Actually two. Well, that's all I got for you today! 




Comments